Ohio, from an Iroquois word meaning “large creek” or “great river.” It’s known as the Buckeye State and bordered by West Virginia on its southeast, Kentucky on its south, Indiana on its west, Canada on its north, Michigan on its northwest and Pennsylvania on its east. Other nicknames are The Mother of Presidents, the Birthplace of Aviation and The Heart of it All.
The major industries include manufacturing, bioscience, plastics, rubber, electrical, appliances, fabricated metals, trade, transportation, utilities and green economy. More Ohio Flag questions are answered here.
There are lots of reasons to visit Ohio. Here are five of them.
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame – a favorite stop for music aficionados. It showcases music geniuses from various time periods.
- 4 Hocking Hills State Park – a popular, rugged park perfect for outdoor enthusiasts. It’s a great place to hike, explore caves, set up camp, and enjoy other outdoor activities.
- Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park – a tribute to the Wright Brothers and Paul Laurence Dunbar. It showcases vintage parks, airplanes, early railroad photos and historic buildings.
- Cedar Point – an amusement park and resort that boasts of intense rides and friendly rides for children.
- Franklin Park Conservatory and Botanical Garden – a changing indoor and outdoor landscape of flowers and plants.
Ohio also has crazy laws:
- It is deemed illegal to color and sell rabbits and baby poultry. (R.C. §925.62) (’75 Code, §618.06) (Ord. 728-1973, passed 12-18-73) Penalty, see §92.99
- It is illegal to make an arrest on a Sunday or on the 4th of July (Section 2331.12 House Bill 1)
- Skateboarding after dark is prohibited (Section 139.14 Skateboarding Ord. 41-1991)
Famous Ohio Celebrations
- Cincinnati Bell/WEBN Fireworks at P&G Riverfest – September
The Riverfest is one of the city’s biggest crowd drawers. Over half a million Riverfest fans attend this event. It features live bands, skydiving, live art, family activities and fireworks.
- Oktoberfest ZinZinnati – September
This is one of the major events in Cincinnati and the largest Oktoberfest in North America. It highlights live entertainment, German folk dances, more than a hundred booths offering beer, wine, food and crafts, accordion players on the streets, rides, and activities for kids.
- Mid America Boat Show – January
This event showcases all kinds of boats and marine equipment. The newest cruisers and boating accessories including insurance and banking aspect of this trade.
Are you a proud Blackeye? Want to show how much you appreciate the uniqueness of your state? Fly a flag or display one in your home! Show true Blackeye pride!
Want a flag that will fly high, look good and withstand the humid continental climate of Ohio? Reach out to us! Our US Made flags are sturdy, pretty, and flies great! Fashioned from heavyweight 200 denier nylon and specially treated to dry fast and resist chemical deterioration, you can be sure that our flags will serve you longer than other flags will. Contact us today!