The flag of Haiti was adopted on February 26, 1986 and is made up of two equal horizontal bands of blue and red, with blue on the top. The Haiti Coat of Arms lies centered on a white box (officially a slight rectangle) on both of the bands.
The Haitian flag is an adaptation of the French national flag. The blue stripe is said to represent the black Haitians and biracial Haitians are represented by the red stripe. Thus, these colors represent the union of the races of the country.
The most significant symbolism on the Haitian flag is located within its’ coat of arms, which features weapons that represent the nation’s readiness to defend its’ freedom. The coat of arms is made up of two yellowish-gold colored cannons faced in opposite directions on top of a hill. A drum with two axes is located between the cannons and six flags are located behind the cannons (3 flags behind each cannon). In the center of the image is a palm tree and placed above the palm tree lies a Phrygian cap representing freedom. A white banner is placed at the bottom of the hill with the words “L’UNION FAIT LA FORCE” meaning, “Union Makes Strength”, which is also the motto of several other countries. (This should not be confused with the national motto of Haiti, which according to the Constitution of Haiti is “Liberty, Equality, Fraternity”.) On the lawn various items are found, such cannon balls, bugles, long guns, and ships anchors. Lying between the drum and ribbon are two pieces of broken chain, symbolizing the broken chain of slavery.
The coat of arms of Haiti was originally introduced in 1807 and has appeared in its current form since 1986.